Thursday, November 30, 2006

Archived Stuff Nov 2006

Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Belly Button Chronicles - Part 2



Here is the promised second part in the journey of my belly button. Hang on to your seats, because we are getting exciting now!!

The aforementioned belly button is now approaching flatness. It is now perched on top of an ever rising mound of a JELLO belly. It is WAY cool!

Another side effect of the impending Boy Ward is N-E-S-T-I-N-G. I actually folded laundry before 7am this morning and THEN went on to clean the windows. Other signs of this phenomenon include the purchase of an infant car seat and the first set of all-in-one diapers. One would think I was preparing for something…

Wouldn't this be nice if I could have channeled these urges into finishing my grad paper?? But no… instead I am reading about the best placement of a car seat and nutrition for baby's first year.

If you are squeamish or just rather not know too much then ignore this section. We spent Thanksgiving dinner at another couple's home and they have a little one about four months old or so. Well… I got proof that my body is primed for baby. I imagine that the crying triggered a pretty good response from my boobs to go ahead with the milk. Yea… say it… you know you want to… ewwwww!!! I WARNED you. It was a short response, things are back to "normal" now.

Another urge that I am having lately is to listen to jazz and classical music. Why fight it?? It is good music!! I enjoy the mix of mellow to dance sounds. I really could use a set of decent speakers.

Oh yea, before only my pinky fit in my belly button. Now it is approaching a one and a half finger size. So not only it is getting flatter, but stretched out too! I am happy to note that I am not experiencing stretch marks, maybe that it still to come… who knows?







Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The BLACK HOLE for ink pens


In case you ever wonder where that ink pen you were looking for is... think no further... it is at my house. Trust me.

Not too long ago I noticed an increase in the ink pen population was occuring in my house. At first I thought they were breeding, but after careful observation and a supply of pen condoms, I debunked that theory.

The first indication I had of the BLACK HOLENESS of my house for ink pens was watching my husband examine an ink pen he had just used to sign a credit slip, then it mysteriously end up in my house.

A few months ago, I took action. The ink pen build up was becoming unmanageable. Everywhere I looked there were three ink pens just waiting to be used. I mean EVERYWHERE... The dresser drawer, under the bed and even in a shoe. I gathered up all the ink pens. I kept one red one, one blue one, a thin marker, a thick marker and three black pens. Oh... and the giant ink pen, because it is just cool. What can I say... three just sounded like a good number. The rest I snuck into various places and abandoned them. The enlisted club gained four, work gained five or six and I think I left a couple at the clinic.

The ink pen collection was at a manageable level again.... for a while.

Sometime about the time my husband returned from the states the ink pen rearmament began again. Last week I noticed four black ink pens in the desk, where there had only been one and the plastic cup in the entry was overflowing. Then tonight it all became clear!!!

My husband is an ink pen junky.

He took one to work with him this morning in his pocket and returned home with four. Once home he proceeded to empty his pocket of ink pens into.... the overflowing cup and the desk!!!

In just under the two months that he has been back he has managed to bring home nine stray ink pens already. He has just slipped out for curry. I am in the process of planting two ink pens in each of his work pockets with the hopes that while the number may not diminish... at least it won't continue to rise.

I am all for a spare pen or two... NOTE: OR TWO! More than that is just asking for an ink travesty.

Need an ink pen?






Thursday, November 16, 2006

Setting the story straight



Recently I duct taped Josh to the couch and a pen to his hand. I pulled out the baby memory book and said "time to help me with this". (the duct tape helped)



We were on a roll then hit the question, where and how your parents met. We drew a blank staring at each other. Not for lack of remembering, more for appropriate version. Here I am to set the record straight.



v1: We met at Walmart in Midwest City, hit it off and then went out on a date.



v2: It was a blind date and we really lucked out, enjoying each other's company.



v3: I was new to Oklahoma City and asked him if he could show me around the city.



v4: We were bored that day and in the mood for new company.



v5: I saw him on his cool bike and thought "wow, he looks like someone I want to meet".



v6: He saw me in my cool Outback wagon and thought "well, I'm not busy tonight."



v7: Midwest City, spring 2003.



All of these are perfectly true, which one do you like?



None of them are quite complete. Note: my mom was there, a pub and the best beer in the world was involved at some point and his bike was red, which isn't my favorite color. Now that I think about it, his car was red too. weird...



Now the truly amazing thing was that neither of us wanted to get married, we both thought the other sex was crazy (ok, that part hasn't changed) and he was leaving the country (he did, but I went too). For my part, it was an amazing summer and I am still amazed that I could be open and see how great it could be with us.



Look where that summer got us… In a foreign country, married and expecting our first baby. (shhh… don't tell about the married part, I want it to be a surprise) Life is… odd.



Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Lost: my mind


If found please return.

Ever had that dream that you are on a deserted island... plenty of food, water and hobbies? Can wander around naked without worrying about sunburn... or any injury for that matter.

Yea... me neither.

Well... I am on an island, full of tiny people and traffic. Gorgeous beaches, warm ocean and only two midwives. Normally that isn't much of an issue, but right now I am going to rant. Feel free to skip the next few paragraphs... I think I have pregnancy brain. I want it my way and all to work out. Ok, so I normally want it that way. Does that make me a control freak? Please don't answer, it was rhetorical. I want a home birth...the idea of a hospital makes me nauseous. I am NOT sick, just growing an alien child that I haven't been convinced is mine yet. He throws all these wild parties and I just bring the food so far. Ok, back to the midwives... the one that I am seeing is cool with me bringing in a water tub, but she says that the docs are afraid of water and the other midwife leaves island before I am due. Plus we all know what hubby does; bless his heart he will fight the entire base to be there. But that leaves me with knowing who is going to be there for delivery?.... me. Why would I want to go to a creepy building and expose such an intimate experience with strangers???? I am not known for my fondness of strangers, I think I was taught well as a child. Maybe too well.

Here is what, in my lost mind, I am imagining. I go there alone... already in some discomfort. Strangers greet me and are trying to be all supportive and stuff.. eek don't touch me...they want me to be in a certain place...didn't I say don't touch me?... Ok this part is fuzzy, hopefully there is less touching, I'll skip ahead... I want my babe right away... not in some other room… not fondled by some stranger...my babe... my arms... and he keeps all his parts!! Damn strangers messing with my little boy's parts... and DON'T touch me. Obviously I am a little upset by this.

They say the docs/nurses are there for when anything goes wrong. To me they are another place that something can go wrong. I need to chill and see the tour of the department and ask all my questions there. Besides… maybe there will be a lock on the door J Why fret upon something that it appears I have little control over? Can I just say one more thing… it sucks. It's not like I don't have other things to do right now. Two graduate classes, tutoring students and gaining weight, you'd think I have enough without adding to it. Beer would be REALLY REALLY good right about now. I am going to settle for a root beer, chocolate and a bubble bath.

Man… have I said just how COOL it is to feel this little guy moving around in there? He is going to be beautiful. One look at him and all that mess from above is gonna be GONE. Nothing will ever be the same… in a good way. This might be that epiphany about "the situation is hopeless but not serious." I think I'll get that tatooed on my wrist. I'm getting an ink pen as I write.

Hopefully has his daddy's temperament. Two of me in the house might drive Josh insane. Poor guy. Love you, Josh! You rock damnit.






Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Another cool idea for mommies



Mom mentioned a way to keep track of the next nursing side. So I went on a search for bracelets thinking that one of those gel support our troops bracelets would be pretty convenient. Then I ran across this site that makes gel nursing bands to track times also.

http://www.milkbands.com/

Looks pretty handy to me. I have seen beaded ones, but this is more inconspicuous and frankly... less likely for me to break. They make five colors... why not go for seven, like the days of the week panties (not that I ever owned any). With seven of course that would assume I know which day it is to change the bracelet.

I think I'll talk about cravings for a bit.... My sweet tooth has vanished and I am sure that I have moaned earlier about my recent distaste for my favorite soda, Dr. Pepper. I get hungry about every 3 hours. Its not a mild nagging hunger either. Its more "I am a raving lunatic, give me food or I will naw on you" hunger. So far I want tomatoes... fresh.. juicy.. ripe tomatoes. Big ones... little ones... green.. red... if it is a tomato... it is good. I REALLY need to find some tomato starts and grow my own. Oh and we found a gyro place on island... they make gyros with chicken and they are sooooo good. With needing to reduce my fish intake a little (damn mercury), I have added chicken in a little, plus a fish gyro is a little beyond me. ALTHOUGH... if they skipped the meat and made one with extra tomoatoes.... ahhh heaven. I think I'll have a little talk with them!!

Oh and the little one either loves or hates Vivaldi. But really... is there a middle ground with Vivaldi? Classical and jazz are both enjoyed. I am sure at great relief that it stops my singing :)






Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Ultimate gift for baby boys??



You really have to see it to believe it.

http://www.amazon.com/Peepee-Teepee-Sprinkling-WeeWee-Trucks/dp/B000GYT7SQ/sr=8-1/qid=1162876264/ref=sr_1_1/102-5120577-6215308?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products

YUP... it is exactly what it looks like! Who thinks of these things?? Josh and I had a different tactic planned. Full body wetsuits, shoulder high gloves and goggles. Don't forget the waterproof wallpaper.... now how to get that on a 9 ft ceiling?

If you don't think that item is funny... I can't really help you.

The little one invited friends over the other night, either that or he was doing some serious remodeling. I am going to put pillows on the floor. If he is this strong at 23 weeks.... I'm gonna fall out of the bed in a couple more months from him swimming in there.

I'm not sure there is going to be a name. Josh likes Hebrew names and I like Irish/Welsh/Scottish names. Voltron is out.. not going to happen! Remember the idea to get him drunk at delivery? I have a plan with the Irish pub to deliver a keg of Guinness to the 5th floor of Lester Hospital. that is going to be one cheerful hospital wing when I am in labor... Think I can sneek out at that point?

Oh yea and the next person that wishes for larger boobs is going to get slapped. In fact... the next person that says the word boob, boobs, or any variation will be injured. Too bad I can't take one of mine off and throw it at them...now THAT would hurt and they can keep it.

LMAO... peepee teepee... who thinks of these things?? And what father would agree to photograph their son with one on?? hmmm.... probably Voltron's dad.




Friday, November 03, 2006

Coolness!!!



Halloween night the little one was performing some pretty hefty acrobatics. Not sure how he finds the room to be so active, he looked pretty squished in the ultrasound pics.

The coolness is that Josh was able to feel some of the little guy moving around in there!!! His expression was priceless :)

I am a knitting fiend lately. I think mainly to have a good (?) reason to avoid starting on that paper that I should have begun last week. It is a relaxing hobby... most of the time. I looked back over my projects for the past year and I have quite a number of them.

I think I found the ultimate conversation stopper. Just say "I like math" and see what happens... I think time may even move backwards a bit. Evidently that isn't something that one is supposed to say out loud even if you mean it. We were eating out at a Thai restaurant and started talking with another American couple. For some reason or another that sentence came out of my mouth and there was dead silence for a good 45 seconds. It isn't as though I said I like sex with dead babies... now THAT I can understand stopping a conversation. Perhaps even a clearing of the room. But math?? Come on... it's fun... you know it is.

No comments: